Tot dies in dad’s arms days after ‘choking’ while at nursery

A devastated father has spoken of his tragedy at losing his nine-month old son just days after he ‘choked’ at nursery.

Oliver Steeper passed away following a medical emergency at Jelly Beans Day Nursery in Ashford, Kent on September 23.

His father Lewis Stepper said Oliver “passed away peacefully in our arms” last Wednesday.

Education watchdog Ofsted has temporarily suspended the nursery’s licence over 'serious safeguarding concerns' following the news of Oliver’s death.

Writing on Facebook, his father Lewis wrote: “Our baby boy, our world sadly lost his battle a short time ago and passed away peacefully in our arms. We have been so blessed with him in our little family for the 9 months he was here, bringing us joy and happiness every second of the day.”

Lewis revealed that Oliver will help others in his death as the family made the decision to donate his kidneys and cells to give other children “a shot at a life”.

He also wrote on Facebook in a second post to thank those who left flowers, teddies and toys outside the nursery.

Lewis added: “We both miss Oliver dearly and wish we could see his little beautiful smile and his voice again and would do anything to have that opportunity again just for one second.”

  • Body found in search for dad who vanished after sending heartbreaking text 10 months ago

Oliver’s grandma Rita Crampton wrote on Facebook: “Oliver our little fighter! My great grandson!!!! Fly high with the angels darling , your nine months with us was so very special, and this very traumatic ending has left us all just in pieces, no words can explain our pain.”

Ofsted is currently investigating the incident at the nursery, which remains closed until the suspension is lifted.

  • Mum plunges to her death holding son, 2, after falling over baseball stadium railing

In a statement, A spokesperson for Jelly Beans Day Nursery: "Following a medical emergency at the nursery involving a child on Thursday, September 23, Ofsted served a notice of suspension of registration for a period of six weeks for the purposes of an investigation.

"The nursery will remain closed for the period of the suspension.

"We have today been notified that the child who was subject to this medical incident has tragically died. We extend our deepest sympathies to the family who are in everyone’s thoughts.

To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newslettershere.

"Due to the ongoing investigations by the various agencies involved, we are unable at this time to make any further comment. We have been cooperating fully with all relevant authorities and will continue to do so."

An Ofsted spokesman said: "We have suspended the nursery's registration due to serious safeguarding concerns.

“It will remain closed while investigations continue."

An online fundraiser via JustGiving has been set up to help the grieving family and has currently raised more than £9,000.

Source: Read Full Article