Teen girl electrocuted as home struck by lightning while she charged her phone

A teenage girl was the third person to be struck by lightening in the same area, dying after the bolt struck as she charged her phone.

The girl, called Radja Ferreira de Oliveira, was in her home in the community of Sao Francisco do Carapanari in the city of Santarem in the northern Brazilian state of Para.

The 18-year-old was charging her phone, which as hooked up to the mains, when the property was struck by lightning in the early hours of Sunday, 29th August.

Radja received a severe electric shock and passed out and the emergency services were called.

However, by the time the paramedics arrived on the scene, the young woman had already been administered first aid and taken to hospital by her family.

When she was seen by a doctor, she no longer had vital signs and was pronounced dead.

Radja was the third person to be electrocuted in the Brazilian state of Para last week.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Semeao Tavares was on a phone call in the district of Apolinario in the municipality of Curua when he was struck by lightning during a different storm on Wednesday, 25th August.

Health professionals reached him while he was still alive, but he succumbed to his injuries.

Councillor Raimundo Brito of the centre-right-to-right-wing Progressistas political party was also electrocuted while he was plucking a duck in his home in the community of Macura in the same municipality when lightning struck on the same date.

He is not believed to have been using his phone at the time.

He managed to call for help and was taken to the local health centre, where he was treated for his injuries.

Experts warn of risks while using a mobile phone while it is still charging, particularly during a thunderstorm.

Source: Read Full Article