Rescuers trying to track down an Australian man, who went missing while snorkelling, believe he may have been taken by a shark after they found pieces of diving equipment.
The man went missing late on Thursday while snorkelling near Port MacDonnell off Australia’s south coast.
His unexplained disappearance sparked an air and sea search, but this was later scaled back when rescuers pulled a damaged wetsuit and flippers from the water.
The man has been named as 32-year-old Duncan Craw, according to News.com.au
His family, who spoke to the news site, described him as “extremely hard-working” and “the best father”, saying he had been due to celebrate his 33rd birthday on Saturday.
South Australia Police Limestone Coast operations manager Campbell Hill told ABC that no remains have been found but a shark had been seen in the area the previous day.
“There are a few remaining areas of interest that we are just looking to explore but the information from the experts at this time is that the search I should say, will be scaled down and unfortunately this will become a matter that will become the subject of an investigation report for the coroner,” he said.
If confirmed, it would be Australia’s first recorded shark attack this year.
Last year saw a spike in fatal shark attacks in the country with eight people killed, up from zero the previous year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society.
Source: Read Full Article