Student, 20, dies after downing vodka bottle while watching YouTube with friends

A devastated mum spoke of her despair after her 20-year-old son died after downing a bottle of vodka while watching YouTube with friends.

Student Mikey Cunniffe died after drinking the spirit while watching internet clips with his housemates last October.

He fell asleep and never woke up, despite the efforts of his best friend to revive him, and a coroner concluded he died through alcohol poisoning, the Manchester Evening News reports.

His mother Chrisie Yates said: "You don't think it's going to happen to you until it does. On this occasion a bottle of vodka killed him.

"He was loving life. He had a good night with his friends. He didn't wake up, but he was in no pain.

"He had a good head on his shoulders. He was very bright and he had the world at his feet. He was really generous and kind."

Mikey was studying mechanical engineering at Manchester Metropolitan University.

Paying tribute to her son, heartbroken mum Chrisie said he also learned to speak Spanish and Italian and enjoyed salsa dancing and mixed martial arts.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

"He did more in his 20 years of life than most people do in 70," she added. "He was my blue eyed boy."

Mikey's stepmum Amanda Cunniffe took part in a cycle ride from Manchester to Blackpool in Mikey's memory.

Amanda and her best pal Kerry Cain raised £1,000 for the charity The Compassionate Friends, which supports bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children.

"Me and my husband Mark (Mikey's dad) went through it all," Amanda said. "We both thought it was a way to support all those people who have lost a child and are grieving."

She also wants to raise awareness about the risks of drinking alcohol.

Amanda added: "It's something you would never really expect from Mikey. When the coroner report came through it was alcohol poisoning it was a massive shock."

Source: Read Full Article