The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
Prince Harry is reportedly "demanding" his wife Meghan Markle be an official part of the ceremony to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death – or he may not show up himself.
The Duke of Sussex is set to return to the UK on July 1 to unveil a statue in his mum’s honour in the grounds of Kensington Palace to mark the 20th anniversary of her tragic death.
Previous reports suggested Harry and brother Prince William came together to sign off on the statue of their mother.
The brothers have not been on the best of terms following Harry and wife Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.
Now gossip website Radar reports Harry is demanding his wife be made a part of the ceremony to unveil the statue of his late mother.
A source reportedly told the site: "Harry is demanding the Meghan be part of the official ceremony.
"She will not be able to attend in person because of the couple's second child, but Harry is pushing to have comments prepared by Meghan included in the event or a video message featuring his wife released to the media the same day the brothers unveil the statue."
Prince Harry said he could 'talk with Charles for hours' in unearthed clip before rift
The report adds that Harry may not come over to the UK for the event after the "cold shoulder" he received after coming over for his grandfather Prince Philip's funeral.
"It is very possible that Harry does not return to the UK for the event," insiders said.
"The cold shoulder Harry received at Prince Philip's funeral is not helping. Harry was rattled not only by his family’s reaction but also by the negative media coverage he received during his short stay.
"Now he may bow out of the upcoming trip altogether."
When William and Harry announced they were commissioning the statue, the brothers said in a joint statement that they “hope that the statue will help those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on their mother’s life and legacy.”
It will sit in the Sunken Garden at her former Kensington Palace home.
Announcing the new statue back in 2017, a joint statement from Harry and William said: “It has been 20 years since our mother’s death and the time is right to recognise her positive impact in the UK and around the world with a permanent statue.
Gayle King 'predicted' Meghan Markle and Prince Harry leaving Royal Family two years ago
“Our mother touched so many lives. We hope the statue will help all those who visit Kensington Palace to reflect on her life and her legacy.”
Meghan and Harry officially stepped back from their roles as senior royals on March 31 last year, moving first to Canada and later Los Angeles when the US was placed on lockdown due to coronavirus.
Daily Star has contacted Harry and Meghan's Archewell representative for comment.
- Meghan Markle
- Prince Harry
- Princess Diana
Source: Read Full Article