Dr Sean Conley said it was also unnecessary for Mr Trump to go into self-isolate as a precaution. Mr Trump last weekend dined with a group that included Brazil’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, who Brazilian officials say has now been tested positive for coronavirus.
The President’s exposure to the first individual was extremely limited
Dr Sean Conley
Dr Conley said another guest at the dinner, believed to be acting Brazil Charge d’Affaires Ambassador Nestor Forster, whom the president briefly came in contact, with started to show symptoms of COVID-19 three days later and has since tested positive for the virus.
In a statement released late last night, Dr Conley downplayed Mr Trump’s exposure.
He added: “The President’s exposure to the first individual was extremely limited (photograph, handshake) and though he spent more time in closer proximity to the second case, all interactions occurred before any symptom onset.
“These interactions would be categorized as LOW risk for transmission per CDC guidelines, and as such, there is no indication for home quarantine at this time.
“Additionally, given the President himself remains without symptoms, testing for COVID-19 is not currently indicated.”
The New York Post has also reported a third, unnamed individual who attended a Trump fundraising lunch on the Sunday has also been confirmed as having Covid-19.
JUST IN: ‘Like cracked nuclear reactor’ EU MUST accept UK rules or face eurozone meltdown – expert
There have also been conflicting reports about Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who led the Brazilian delegation, and whose hand the President was pictured shaking on Saturday
Various media outlets, including Fox, claimed he too had tested positive – although he subsequently denied the reports in an angry tweet, declaring: “Don’t believe the fake news media!”
Brazil’s Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper reported Mr Bolsonaro will now be retested next week.
UK response to coronavirus simply NOT good enough says poll [Latest]
Coronavirus pandemic could last YEARS, health expert warns Government [Update]
Coronavirus USA: Donald Trump may impose UK travel ban [Latest]
Meanwhile Trump himself has been non-committal about the subject of when and if he will take the test.
He told reporters yesterday he would “likely” be tested “fairly soon”, while insisting his decision would be unrelated to his contact with Mr Wajngarten, beside whom he was photographed at Mar-a-Lago.
There have been more than 1,300 Covid-19 cases in the US so far, and at least 38 deaths.
The shortage of testing facilities in the US has prompted considerable criticism of the Trump regime.
The US House of Representatives today overwhelmingly passed a coronavirus aid package which would provide free testing and paid sick leave, in a bid to limit the economic damage from a pandemic that has shuttered schools, sports arenas and offices.
By a bipartisan vote of 363 to 40, the Democratic-controlled House passed a multi-billion dollar effort that would expand safety-net programs to help those who could be thrown out of work in the weeks to come.
Economists say the outbreak, which has infected 138,000 people worldwide and killed more than 5,000, could tip the US economy into recession.
President Donald Trump said he supported the package, raising the likelihood that it will pass the Republican-controlled Senate next week.
Last night he retweeted several posts by supportive political commentators, including several attacking potential 2020 Democratic Presidential election rival Joe Biden.
Source: Read Full Article