Canterbury wedding day helicopter crash: Chopper firm ‘grateful’ all four injured recovering in hospital

An aviation company whose helicopter crashed on a golf course yesterday carrying a newly married couple, wedding photographer and pilot, say they are “grateful” all four are recovering in hospital.

The wedding day horror unfolded on a fairway of the golf course at Terrace Downs Resort in Windwhistle, 80km west of Christchurch, when the Robinson 44 came down while flying the bride and groom to a picturesque mountain spot for post-nuptial photos.

All four on board were hurt, with three flown by rescue helicopter to Christchurch Hospital with serious injuries after the 3.05pm crash.

The remaining injured person was taken by St John Ambulance to the same hospital with moderate injuries.

This morning, Wyndon Aviation which owns the helicopter released a media statement, saying it understood the “considerable interest” in the crash.

“Our immediate thoughts are with the bride and groom, the photographer and our pilot who sustained injuries as a result of the accident,” the statement says.

“While the injuries are serious, we are grateful that all four are recovering in hospital.”

A spokesman for the company said, at this stage, they are “unaware of any causal factors in respect of this accident” and that it would “not only be counterproductive but inappropriate to speculate on the cause”.

“We have, however, undertaken to work closely with the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and authorities who are investigating the circumstances behind yesterday’s accident.”

Four people playing golf nearby were first on the scene after the helicopter came down, said Ronnie Ronalde, director of operations for CPG Hotels, which owns the resort.

“Four golfers on the next green ran across. They heard a thud and ran to the fairway.”

He was walking past when one of the golfers “called it in” to the resort so he jumped into a golf cart with other staff to help, arriving within minutes to discover the occupants of the Robinson 44 “conscious and talking” but in pain.

“Everything happened so quick … we were trying to look after the people till the ambulance came … comforting them, putting blankets on them.

“One [staff member] was in the helicopter, consoling [the injured].”

A hospital surgeon staying at the resort also came to help, Ronalde said.

“He took charge.”

The helicopter crashed upright near a sand trap, but photos showed its tail had been sheared off – it came to rest several metres away tangled around a flag stick.

The newlyweds were sitting together in the back of the helicopter, behind the photographer and pilot, but Ronalde didn’t know which of those on board was among the seriously injured.

The group were flying to a picturesque mountain spot – the resort is located next to Rakaia River and below Mt Hutt and the Southern Alps – and had just started the planned 10-minute flight.

“They’d just taken off and weren’t that high [off the ground].”

The mountain photo excursion was part of the big day, with the reception for around 100 guests to follow, Ronalde said.

“The whole family had come here today to have their reception, which they had out in the gardens, and part of it was for some photos to be taken. They were going up to the top of the mountain and the reception was to be afterwards.”

Shocked wedding guests waiting back at the resort, including the newlyweds’ parents, had to be comforted by staff, with about 30 on duty at the time of the crash, Ronalde said.

Guests were traumatised and confused, he said.

“It’s a big day and all of a sudden it stops … it’s devastating for the family, and the staff who were there, all of us. It’s quite a traumatic day.

“[So] we were trying to console everyone and make them as comfortable as we can.”

Some guests, unaware of what had happened, arrived at the venue only to be told by staff what had happened.

The CAA is working with the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) to determine which agency would lead the investigation into this crash.

“Since we were notified … our investigation and response team has been in close contact with police and first responders as they have attended the accident scene … [once decided] the agency leading the investigation will determine what level of investigation will be launched,” a CAA spokesman said.

“In the meantime, we are asking people in the Canterbury high country to avoid the accident site to ensure that the site is not contaminated, which could hinder the investigation.”

Source: Read Full Article