Nicola Sturgeon warns new lockdowns 'could still happen'
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon addressed the country in her coronavirus briefing on Tuesday afternoon. During her briefing, Ms Sturgeon warned that Scotland could see another lockdown to prevent the spread of COVID-19, in the same way France has. She insisted that countries are still having to deal with the surge in cases despite successful vaccine rollouts.
Ms Sturgeon warned against dropping measures too soon or behaving too brashly in order to return the country back to normal.
She said: “We can still see here and in more starkly in other parts of the world, Covid is not out.
“It is a virus that is very much still with us.
“Here in Scotland every day we are still seeing hundreds of people test positive for it and all of the new cases that we are seeing reported now are of the new variant that emerged just before Christmas.
DON’T MISS: Deluded Breton claims AstraZeneca sole culprit of EU vaccine shambles
“As we know, that variant is more infectious than the variant we were dealing with earlier last year.
“That is indeed why some countries in Europe are having to tackle big increases in new cases.
“We are seeing countries like France, for example, applying new lockdowns so that is what could still happen here if we let down our guard too far or too quickly.
“That is what we have collectively be determined that we are not going to allow to happen here.”
Nicola Sturgeon says the last year has ‘tested her’
The First Minister reiterated the people of Scotland needed to remain vigilant against the dangers of the virus and its spread.
She said: “To sustain our progress it is really important to ease restrictions cautiously and carefully.
“That is why the changes that came into force over the weekend, although significant and will make a difference to many people, were nevertheless cautious changes.
“On Friday, the previous stay at home rule was changed to stay local except for certain purposes.
Nicola Sturgeon nightmare as George Galloway set for Parliament return [INSIGHT]
Nicola Sturgeon accused of ‘exploiting’ Covid deaths [REVEAL]
SNP candidate attacked for comparing Tories to Hitler [LATEST]
“As you know, a number of other changes came into force yesterday.
“Contact sports are now allowed for 12-17-year-olds, all shops can now operate click and collect services again, car showrooms, homeware stores, garden centres, hairdressers and barbers can open again.
“I hope people will enjoy making the most of these additional services but I would ask everybody to continue to use your common sense to protect yourselves and others.”
Source: Read Full Article