Joe Biden: Simon Coveney discusses approach to China
Simon Coveney, Ireland’s Foreign Affairs Minister, has been pressed on whether Ireland and the European Union are likely to adopt the same tough stance on China pursued by US President Joe Biden. Asked if Ireland and the EU would join America in classifying the Chinese treatment of the Uyghur Muslim population in the Xinjiang province as genocide, Mr Coveney appeared to distance himself from the strong rhetoric on China used by his American counterparts.
He told ITV’s Robert Peston: “Well, genocide is a very strong word and we’ll see what the new administration in Washington does with that.
“But certainly, I think and I can speak for the EU and for Ireland but obviously not for the UK here, but certainly, there is a very serious conversation ongoing within the EU right now as to how as a union we build a relationship in the future with China.
“China is a huge economy and country, it can’t be ignored, a relationship with China is an essential reality.
“But how we ensure that that relationship is consistent with our values around democracy and protecting human rights for minorities and freedom of speech and so on, is something that has to be part of that relationship.”
JUST IN: Joe Biden issues brutal warning to staff after inauguration –‘I will fire you on the spot’
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
On Tuesday, now-former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared that the Chinese politburo was carrying out “genocide” conditions in Xinjiang.
The claims come one day before President Biden’s inauguration.
Officials for Mr Pompeo told reporters today that “an exhaustive documentation of China’s own policies, practices and abuse in Xinjiang” were viewed by Mr Pompeo.
Mr Pompeo’s claims that such acts had been committed since at least March 2017.
READ MORE: US President Joe Biden set to earn nearly DOUBLE Boris Johnson’s Prime Ministerial salary
Joe Biden inauguration: Amanda Gorman recites poem
Mr Pompeo said in a statement: “After careful examination of the available facts, I have determined that the PRC, under the direction and control of the CCP, has committed genocide against the predominantly Muslim Uighurs and other ethnic and religious minority groups in Xinjiang.”
He added: “I believe this genocide is ongoing.
“I believe we are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy Uighurs by the Chinese party-state.”
Beijing said that the official reason for the camps was to stamp out extremism and give people new skills.
WW3: China accuses India of ‘inciting’ violence as tensions erupt [REVEAL]
WW3 fears EXPLODE as Kim Jong-un calls for ‘ultra-big’ nuclear weapons [SHOCK]
South China Sea war threat after Beijing’s terrifying missile warning [INSIGHT]
But witnesses and camp survivors have called them concentration camps.
Beijing denies claims of human rights abuse within the camps.
A 2019 Schriver estimate stated there have been between 1 million and 3 million Uighur’s incarcerated in the camps over several years.
Also, a 2017 Chinese government document revealed that 497,000 minors were held in special boarding schools.
Source: Read Full Article